Posts

Friday, September 24, 2010

eli's asian salmon
serves 5 (...or 8 fit and trim ladies )

2 1/4 lbs center cut salmon (1 1/2 inches thick)
1 c soy sauce (low sodium is a must)
1/4 c rice vinegar
1/4 c freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
2 tbs oyster sauce
1 tbs toasted dark sesame oil
1 1/2 tsp chili paste
1/2 c sliced scallions
2 tbs minced garlic
2 tbs minced ginger
1 1/2 c panko


Line an 8x12 baking pan with aluminum foil. Place salmon in the pan.
In a mixing cup, combine all of the ingredients except for the panko. Pour one third over the fillet. Sprinkle the panko evenly over the fillet and cover with remaining mixture.*******
set aside for 15 minutes.
Preheat CLEAN oven (or green egg/grill) to 500 degrees. Roast the salmon for 18-20 minutes (12 minutes per inch) ***Internal temperature should be 120 degrees.
Remove from grill/oven and wrap tightly with aluminum foil and allow to rest for 15 minutes .
Serve hot or at room temperature.

*****NOTES
The only complaints online for this recipe were because of the saltiness from the ingredients and the panko not staying crispy. Taking that into account, I used the low sodium soy sauce and cut out the 1 tbs of fish sauce that it originally called for to reduce some of the sodium. One person suggested adding some honey and red pepper flakes for sweetness and a kick. ( I think both would actually work well with this recipe.)
As for the panko staying crisp- I poured the majority of the mixture on the salmon before the panko to avoid making it too mushy. After I added the breading I poured the mixture sparingly over the top.
I did not use all of it as again I was worried about it being to salty. I think it is best to use your own judgement as it is up to your own preference. ( i tend to prefer wearing my rings the next day without the threat of cutting off circulation)

One other note of interest is that if you choose to prepare this in your oven - it should be clean due to the high temperature. I used the green egg for this and I will probably prefer to use it again instead of the oven.

All in all- loved the recipe and it was incredibly easy to make. I think this would work well with company especially with the "cover it for 15 minutes" step. It is a perfect amount of time to prepare bread/biscuits and to get your sides warmed up-

This recipe comes from Barefoot Contessas At Home cookbook and is originally from Keith Eldridge, the executive chef for Eli Zabar.



No comments:

Post a Comment